WGXC-90.7 FM

Weekend in review

Jan 07, 2013 7:44 am
Stories that made the news, Jan. 4 to Jan. 7:

Joe Gentile reported in the Register Star Hudson Mayor William Hallenbeck Jr. announced Fri., Jan. 4, the city has been awarded a federal grant for the construction of 3,000 feet of sidewalk on Harry Howard Ave. The town of Greenport filed a similar application to build sidewalks from Joslen Blvd., near Rite-Aid, to Livingston Parkway. One-third of Hudson students live within two miles of school, according to Hudson superintendent Maria J. Suttmeier. The mayor anticipates a two-year wait before construction will begin. Read the full story in the Register Star.

Jim Planck reported in The Daily Mail Catskill town officials have announced the Washington Irving Senior Center is now available for additional purposes. A restriction placed on the use of the center was tied to federal and state funding received in 2006. The Town Board will now begin to develop a facility use policy. The space is now available for a variety of events, including bridal showers, Knights of Columbus meetings and Village Board of Trustees meetings. Village President Vincent Seeley said with the allowable change in use, the village meeting Wed., Jan. 9, will be held at the center. Read the full story in The Daily Mail.

Nathan Mayberg reported in the Register Star the Columbia County Board of Supervisors once again chose Supervisor Patrick Grattan to a second year as chairman of the board. The Kinderhook Republican was elected during the board's organizational meeting, Fri., Jan. 4. Grattan's agenda for the coming year includes tourism, economic development and farmland protection. Matt Murrell of Stockport was chosen as majority leader. William Hughes of Hudson was chose as minority leader. Read the full story in the Register Star.

Claude Haton reported in The Daily Mail the former Savoia Auction site on McLaren Road Extension in South Cairo was destroyed by fire, early Fri., Jan. 4. The huge warehouse, visible from State Route 23, housed a variety of heavy equipment including a semi-tractor and large mowers. The location was an auction house for 30 years before former owner Richard Savoia sold it a year ago to the property's current owner, Joe Naugle. The fire was ruled accidental. It was believed to have been caused by the use of electric heaters to thaw pipes. Read the full story in The Daily Mail.