WGXC-90.7 FM

The weekend in review

Jun 11, 2012 8:25 am
Stories that made the news, June 8 through June 10, 2012:

Kristi Berner reported in The Columbia Paper on the New York State Electric & Gas plans to install an 11-mile high-voltage overhead power line, beginning at NYSEG’s existing Klinekill station on Route 203 in Chatham and connecting with an existing National Grid line running south. The Columbia County Transmission Project, as it is known, routes the line near or through dozens of residential properties, several working farms and a nursery, as well as land owned by the Columbia County Land Conservancy. The line would also pass though property belonging to Omi International Arts Center, well within sight of the public exhibition space, The Fields Sculpture Park. An Article VII application was filed by NYSEG with the state Public Service Commission last month, The project is opposed by Project Ghent, a group of more than 100 local residents and business owners. According to a Commission spokesperson, the Ghent project is in the beginning stages and it will be several weeks before an administrative judge is appointed to shepherd the process. Read the full story in The Columbia Paper.

Andrew Wyrich reported in the Watershed Post, Schodack's Niagara Engine Co. No. 6 will be relocated and rebuilt. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has allotted more than $900,000, or 75 percent of the costs. The remaining 25 percent will be covered by the state of New York. The new firehouse will be built on the Fort Road property the Schoharie Fire Department is currently using as a temporary location. The site, a former tractor sales and supply store, will be purchased from its current owner. Member and former chief of the Schoharie Fire Department Matt Brisley told the Post there is no timetable for the rebuilding process, but FEMA will fund the building of a temporary structure so the department can get their fire engines under cover until the new firehouse is built. Read the full story in the Watershed Post.

Nathan Mayberg reported in the Register Star the New York state Department of Health has certified Columbia Memorial Hospital's stroke center. In addition to new drug therapies, the hospital's radiologic technicians have been trained to provide neurological CT scans of the brain to determine if there is any bleeding, Medical Director Norm Chapin told the paper.As part of the certification process, formal training was provided to more than 150 staff members on handling acute stroke patients, plans for long-term, post-stroke treatment and formal stroke training for ambulance personnel. Stroke symptoms include a loss of vision, slurred speech, a feeling of confusion, loss of balance, numbness of the body, severe headaches and weakness. Read the full story in the Register Star.

Jim Planck reported in The Daily Mail an email petition is making the rounds in the Greenville Central School District accusing the district of secrecy, procedural violations and fiscal misrepresentation. The petition also calls for the resignation of unspecified parties. Rensselaerville resident Elizabeth Nicosia Britton helped draft the petition in an attempt to get answers from the board on the rationale behind program and personnel cuts. "I guess we just want...justification as to why they made those decisions," Britton told Planck. At issue are cuts to library and computer instruction, physical education, language, sports and the elementary Challenge program. Board President Wilton Bear Jr. said while the questions raised could be viewed negatively, ultimately the actions of Britton and other concerned community members are important to the health of a district. “It shows there’s an interest...in our school,” he said. Read the full story in The Daily Mail.