Cement barriers are returning to Warren St. when 'arrangements are completed,' mayor says
Natasha Vaughn-Holdridge is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media that the now-familiar seasonal cement barriers will return to Warren Street when arrangements are completed, Hudson Mayor Kamal Johnson said on June 21. The blocks and planters that allow for the extension of dining spaces for businesses are now limited to restaurants, coffee shops and similar eateries. “The [Hudson] Business Coalition is still finalizing things,” Johnson said. “It should happen any time within the next week-and-a-half.” A representative of the business group could not immediately be reached for comment. Johnson said once installed, the barriers will be removed in early October, and the last he heard, roughly 20 businesses will get the blocks. The mayor said the program will be much the same as it has been for the past two years. “The only difference is it will just be restaurants, coffee shops, juice bars and stuff like that,” Johnson said. Hudson Department of Public Works Superintendent Rob Perry said the police have not received any applications for the barriers. “Police have to review the applications,... At some point, once the applications are submitted to the police department they will conduct their review and then they will let us know. And once everything is ready to go then we will schedule a time to install the blocks and the planters.” Last year, blocks and planters were placed outside of about 100 spaces and it took more than a day to install them all, Perry said. Each block weighs approximately one ton. In 2020, the city decided that providing the option to extend storefront operations into the parking lane would support local businesses with post-pandemic economic recovery. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.