Hudson's concrete barriers to be installed June 20
Noah Eckstein is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media that Hudson Mayor Kamal Johnson is in the process of finalizing details with the Hudson Business Coalition over the logistics of reinstalling concrete street barriers on Warren Street, intended to increase seating capacities for restaurants during the summer months. Last week, after receiving queries about the status of the Warren Street Seasonal Usage program from the Common Council, Johnson met with HBC President Alex Petraglia. Following the meeting, Petraglia said the concrete block barriers and planters will return starting June 20 and remain in place until October. 3. The barriers will be available to all dining establishments in the city, a change from what Johnson said previously. The mayor had said the program would begin sometime during the week of June 1, and would only be available for cafes, restaurants and juice bars without outdoor dining spaces. The city code is unclear about what constitutes outdoor dining, but city code enforcement officer Craig Haigh said what a business does with some of their sidewalk space is up to them. Businesses are allowed up to four feet of the sidewalk for outdoor seating as long as at least two feet are available for a pedestrian to pass. After the meeting last week, Johnson said the question of whether the program will be open to all dining establishments is still undecided. Petraglia said the cost of the program this year, including parking fees, plants, soil for the planters, materials to repair and improve the planters, paint, reflectors and reflective tape, will cost about $18,000. Petraglia said the HBC is working to secure grant support to cover the cost of aesthetic and safety improvements to the barriers, fixing the planters, and covering the fees that businesses would otherwise have to cover for lost parking revenue. Read more at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.