Cuomo kills part of his own SAFE Act
Jul 12, 2015 12:03 am
Thomas Kaplan in The New York Times reports that on July 10, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo eliminated part of his own gun-control Safe Act, and blamed the computers for the problem. Cuomo signed a memorandum of understanding suspending the portion of the Safe Act related to the background checks. The memorandum, citing “the lack of adequate technology,” said the database “cannot be established and/or function in the manner originally intended at this time.” “This is a clear victory for Second Amendment rights in New York,” said Senator James L. Seward, a Republican from Otsego County, who did not find fault with the government computer programmers for failing to create a workable database. Previously, Republicans complained that the Safe Act was passed too quickly, soon after the school shooting in Newton, CT. Now Democrats will complain about this last-minute decision. Voters can decide whether it is a clear victory for Second Amendment rights or a lack of adequate technology. Read the full story in The New York Times.