WGXC-90.7 FM

Still no progress in Kinderhook assault case; sheriff's office remains silent

Jul 31, 2020 6:33 am
Kenneth C. Crowe II is reporting for the Times Union that there are no outward signs of progress in the ongoing investigation into the assault of a local man at a private residence in Kinderhook over the July 4th holiday weekend. Columbia County Sheriff David Bartlett and his staff offered no comment when contacted July 30. Local business owner Alex Rosenstrach, his Deputy Sheriff wife, Kelly Briscoe Rosenstrach, and Harold Handy, the victim of the assault, have all hired legal counsel as the Columbia County Sheriff's Office continues its investigation, with the assistance of the State Police Special Investigations Unit. Handy, the owner and operator of Handy Repairs, has engaged the services of attorney Paul Freeman of Hudson. Handy was severely injured at the party and was taken by ambulance to Albany Medical Center in the early morning hours of July 5. Details of Handy's injuries and his recovery remain unclear, although a man who answered the phone at the repair business July 30, said Handy was doing well. Rosenstrach has hired attorney Mark S. Portin of East Greenbush. Portin currently serves as a Ghent town justice and is a former Hudson City Court judge and Columbia County assistant district attorney. Portin also served in the Rensselaer County District Attorney's Major Crimes Bureau as well as its Special Victim’s Bureau. Bill Roberts, an Albany-based attorney who also works as an assistant public defender in Rensselaer County, has confirmed he represents Kelly Briscoe Rosenstrach. To date, no charges have been filed. Deputy Kelly Briscoe Rosenstrach, was placed on administrative leave, effective July 9. The former school resource officer is married to the property owner Alex Rosenstrach, the owner-operator of the ClubLife Health and Fitness club in Kinderhook. “At this point in the investigation, it has been determined that no other deputy sheriffs were at this residence at the time of the incident,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office. That statement directly contradicts social media reports that multiple law enforcement officers were present at the party held the night of July 4, and into the early morning hours of July 5. The sheriff’s office previously defended its investigation of a case that may involve one of its employees. “We investigate every incident with the same integrity and skill,” a department spokesperson said. Read the full story in the Times Union.