WGXC-90.7 FM

Cause of State St. fire determined

Mar 12, 2015 6:58 am
Arthur Cusano is reporting in the Register Star officials have determined the cause of the fire on State St. in Hudson that left three families homeless last month. The Feb. 28 blaze was a result of a fire started earlier that same evening by a child in one of the apartments, according to Hudson Police Chief Edward Moore. While playing with a lighter, the child accidentally ignited a teddy bear, then threw the stuffed toy onto a bed. The bedding, wall, clothing and mattress then caught fire. The fire was extinguished without the help of city firefighters, and the items were deposited in a large garbage bag and placed on the back porch. That bag reignited at 10:40 p.m., eventually engulfing the two structures located at 336 and 338 State St. “We are very, very sure that this is what happened,” Moore said Wed., Mar. 11. Hudson Fire Department Chief James Schermerhorn (SKEM-er-horn) said the residents should have called his department when the initial fire occurred, even if they thought it had been properly extinguished. Reignitions are common occurrences, he said. Criminal charges have not been filed. Read the full story in the Register Star.
Wave Farm / WGXC Acra Contact Info
Mailing: PO Box 13 Acra, NY 12405
Main Office / Acra Studio
(518) 622-2598
WGXC Office
(518) 697-7400
WGXC Hudson Studio
(518) 828-0290
WGXC Feedback
(518) 212-7509 feedback@wgxc.org
Wave Farm / WGXC Acra Studio: 5662 Route 23 Acra, NY 12405
WGXC Hudson Studio: 369 Warren St. Hudson, NY 12534