Cuomo administration offered enticements to get bridge finished sooner
Sep 11, 2018 2:01 pm
Shane Goldmacher in The New York Times reports that Gov. Andrew Cuomo opened a new bridge over the Hudson River last week, which was then shut down hours later. But the Cuomo administration offered the contractor building the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge enticements to get the bridge complete in time for the announcement, according to an internal document obtained by the newspaper. Engineers have kept the new bridge closed because they are worried about a “potentially dangerous situation” with the neighboring old Tappan Zee Bridge. Republican candidate Marc Molinaro, running against Cuomo in November if Cuomo wins the primary election Sept. 13, said, “the bridge was opened to meet Governor Cuomo’s political timetable without regard to public safety.” Cuomo denies complicity. “We didn’t make the decision on the opening of the new span. The contractor did,” Cuomo said at a news conference on Sept. 9. Cuomo said those accusing him of a political motivation were “nonsensical.” Read the full story in The New York Times.