WGXC-90.7 FM

After the storm

Oct 31, 2012 6:48 am
Kyle Adams and Claude Haton report in The Daily Mail on the storm aftermath in Greene County. The state of emergency in effect countywide since 5 p.m., Mon., Oct. 29, was lifted Tuesday evening, though many shelters and emergency responders will continue to monitor conditions and remain available. Less than a thousand households in the county remained without power, Tuesday night, most located in Lexington, Jewett and Hunter.

Village and county officials toured effected businesses in Catskill, Tues., Oct. 30. The Freightmaster Building at The Point, part of a county park complex, and the Port of Call restaurant sustained major damage in the storm. The water rose again early Tuesday when high tide flooded the ground floor of the building.

Firemen in Athens and Coxsackie continued to pump out compromised riverfront properties, Tuesday. State Route 385 which bisects the village, was closed most of the morning due to high water. Flood waters reached as far as the Stewart’s convenience store. In Coxsackie, firefighters continued to pump out homes and businesses in the area of Reed and South River streets. Debris was cleared and roads reopened early in the day.

Congressman Chris Gibson toured affected areas throughout the region, in Greene, Columbia, Otsego, Delaware, Dutchess and Ulster counties, surveying the damage, talking to local officials to coordinate a response and make his office available. Read both stories in The Daily Mail.

John Mason and Nathan Mayberg report in the Register Star in Columbia County, the worst threats from Superstorm Sandy were over by Tues., Oct. 30. Any chances of flooding from the Hudson River had passed, according to the National Weather Service, and the wind threat had also played out.

While thousands in the county awoke to no power, by day's end many outages were restored. According to county officials, some roads remained closed, but not enough to impede transportation. All school districts were open again Tuesday. The lone exception was Germantown Central, which experienced a power failure. Although power was expected to be restored for the majority of customers by the end of the day Tuesday, a lack of power in some parts of the county could continue for days. Continued outages were reported in Germantown, Livingston, Taghkanic, Ancram and Gallatin. Columbia County was one of the hardest hit areas, according to a National Grid spokesman.

The American Red Cross shelter at the Taghkanic Fire Station was slated to close at 8 p.m., Tuesday. Read the full story in the Register Star.

The Associated Press is reporting on the second powerless night in New York City since the storm hit, residents are grappling with how long it will take to get back to normal. Officials warned power may not be restored until the weekend. Some bus service resumed and some bridges were reopened by midday Tuesday, but transit officials said they could not predict when the subway system would run again. The death toll now stands at 18. Schools will remain closed through Wednesday. The New York Stock Exchange will reopen Wednesday, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg will ring the opening bell. Read the full story in the Times Union.