Weekend in review
Some of the stories that made the news from Fri., Sept. 23 through Sun., Sept. 25.
Daniel Zuckerman reported in The Daily Mail organizers of the annual Mountain Jam music festival have announced that next year's event will take place June 16 to 18, a week later in the month than in the past. According to Drew Prasad, of Townsquare Media, the change was made because of the weather. For the first time in the festival's history, a portion of the event had to be cancelled this year due to inclement weather. "People enjoy a music festival more when it is 70 degrees and sunny," he said. Concertgoers who already bought tickets have nine months to ask for a refund if they cannot make the new date. Mountain Jam is a collaboration between Townsquare Media and Chet-5 Festivals with Radio Woodstock and Gov’t Mule guitarist Warren Haynes.
Casey Seiler reported at Capitol Confidential New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman reached a settlement Fri., Sept. 23 with Donald Trump’s hotel chain over, "multiple episodes in which credit card information and other personal data were exposed by malware that invaded the chain’s computer system." Trump International Hotels Management will pay $50,000 in penalties and promised to improve its data security practices. Schneiderman’s office is also investigating a civil case against the Republican presidential nominee's Trump University involving alleged fraud. Trump has denied those allegations.
Emilia Teasdale reported in The Columbia Paper as quickly as one seat on the Ichabod Crane Board of Education was filled, another was vacated. At its Sept. 20 meeting, the board chose Daniel Cohn, a local minister and IRS employee, to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of John Chandler last month. Board president Anthony Welcome said Tracy Farrell tendered her resignation last week due to work commitments. Farrell works with the State Education Department School Turnaround Office. She was elected to the Ichabod Crane board in 2015. Welcome said the board will reach out to one of the two candidates who submitted letters of interest for the seat now held by Cohn. Cohn's appointment was effective immediately, and runs through May 16.
Julia Reischel reported at the Watershed Post police have charged a 14-year-old student in connection with a bomb scare at the Onteora Middle School on Thu., Sept. 22. The threat prompted the evacuation of the school. According to information supplied by the Ulster County Sheriff's Office, a member of the school staff found a note that said a bomb was about to go off on campus. The threat was eventually determined not credible by the police. The student was charged with falsely reporting an incident, a class E felony, and released into the custody of parents. The case was referred to Ulster County Family Court.
Emily Masters reported in the Times Union pistol permit application fees will decrease in Columbia County this week. Beginning October 1, the price tag to apply for a license will be $87, down from $89.75. The change is due to the use of technology in submitting fingerprints. The FBI's ability to receive the information electronically makes for a more streamlined process for background checks and lower processing fees, according to the county sheriff's office.
Katie Kocijanski reported in the Register-Star the town of Livingston has halted all mining activities and pending applications to mine for a period of three months. The Livingston Town Board voted this week to enact the moratorium following its second public hearing on the question. Board member Phil Massaro was alone in his opposition to the local law. The moratorium is a response to public concern over the application of Red Wing Sand & Gravel to mine land just north of Elizaville, on county Route 19, between county Route 8 and Hapeman Road. Opposition to the application focused on concerns about increased traffic, noise, air pollution and children’s safety.
Greg Hudson reported in The Daily Mail the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany says it followed church law when it closed St. Patrick's Church in Catskill, despite what local parishioners believe. Diocesan officials said this week Bishop Edward Scharfenberger fulfilled the church's requirements and signed a decree on July 8, relegating the Bridge Street church from divine to secular use. According to the decree, the church was structurally unsound and deteriorating, and renovation of the building was cost prohibitive. Neither the parish or the diocese could afford the estimated $2.2 million it would take to restore the historic building. Friends of St. Pat's leaders deny ever receiving such a decree. Anthony Petrianni said parish leaders were not notified of the edict. Friends' co-leader Deborah Johnson was equally distressed. Because the group was unaware the decree was issued, the opportunity to appeal and thereby possibly reverse the closure may have been lost, she said. "If it was published in the church bulletin and we missed it, we’re done," Johnson said.