Fourteen people homeless following Philmont fire
Bill Williams is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media 14 people were left homeless Tue., Apr. 7, after a blaze tore through three buildings in the village of Philmont, Fire Chief Mark Beaumont said. The fire was first reported after 10 a.m., as a brush fire behind the building located at 48-51 Block Street. It quickly spread to a garage and then to the four-unit apartment building, and a second home, at 22 Main Street. The first firefighters arrived to find a working structure fire, and immediately requested mutual-aid assistance from neighboring companies. Heavy fire conditions were reported throughout the three-story, wood-frame building. The fire quickly spread to the attic area, and then to the front of the building. Everyone inside was able to escape. Early reports of a missing toddler and a trapped firefighter were unfounded, Beaumont said. The Northeast Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting some of the residents. Police and firefighters went door-to-door to evacuate neighbors and to make sure everyone was safe. Dozens of area residents watched as the building burned. Main Street, Church Street and other neighboring streets were closed to traffic while crews worked. The fires were declared out after 2 p.m., but Philmont firefighters remained at the scene for several more hours. The cause of the fire that gutted 48-51 Block Street, damaged 22 Main Street, and destroyed a garage is now under investigation by state police, Beaumont said. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.