Candidates accepted corporate contributions in excess of limit
Jul 30, 2018 12:15 pm
Anna Sanders is reporting for the New York Post the campaigns of various candidates for state office have accepted campaign contributions from corporate donors in excess of the $5,000 cap mandated by New York election law, according to a Post investigation. Gov. Andrew Cuomo's campaign has kept as least $27,000 from corporate donors; Public Advocate Letitia James accepted at least $5,000 in contributions for her state attorney general campaign; and, GOP gubernatorial candidate Marc Molinaro took thousands from three corporate donors using the same address, a possible violation of campaign law, Sanders writes. “This law has been routinely violated,” said Blair Horner, Executive Director of the New York Public Interest Research Group. “I don’t know of anyone punished for doing this.” Lt. Governor candidate Jumaane Williams received $50,000 for his campaign from three affiliated firms that gave above the limit, The Post reported earlier this month. The campaign said it will return the money and Williams will not take any corporation money going forward. Read the full story in the New York Post.