Fire destroys East Durham inn
Nov 01, 2015 12:02 am
The Daily Freeman reports that a nearly 200-year-old building on state Route 81 was lost when the Wayside Country Inn burnt down Oct. 30. East Durham Volunteer Chief Connie Whitbeck said a burst propane line might have caused the fire. The inn’s Facebook page says the structure, “was built in about 1821 and has been a tavern, hotel and carriage house.” It was once called Carter’s Hotel in the early 1900s and The Knotty Pine Tavern from the 1940s until 1990. Read the full story in The Daily Freeman.