Quick-thinking guest saves Reidlbauer's Resort from fire
Bill Williams is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media quick action by a guest helped save a Greene County resort from fire on April 24, Round Top Fire Chief Eric Kuever said. The unidentified man saw flames and began dousing the fire with water from a garden hose, Kuever said. The fire broke out at about 5:29 a.m., in the main building at Reidlbauer’s Resort, on Ravine Drive, in Round Top. When firefighters arrived, the fire was nearly out. “We put very little water on the fire,” Kuever said. Reidlbauer's main building suffered some cosmetic damage. There were no reported injuries, Kuever said. Management at the resort was appreciative of the guest who helped to put out the fire, said Anita Teator, one of the resort’s owners. The man was alerted to the fire, along with the other guests, when smoke alarms sounded. The fire is believed to have started from careless smoking, Kuever said. Cairo Ambulance assisted at the scene. Cairo Fire Company was placed on standby, but was not needed. All firefighters were back in service at 6:30 a.m. Teator believes the affected building dates back to the 1930s. It houses the resort’s restaurant and bar. Teator and her brother have owned the German/American family resort for 43 years. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.