Census set to begin, but needed funding is lagging
Mar 09, 2020 2:00 pm
Bill Mahoney is reporting for Politico New York the state appears to be getting a slow start to its census outreach efforts. Just days to go until households begin receiving reminders to complete their Census forms, not-for-profit organizations and other activists say they are still waiting for state outreach funding to start coming from Albany. According to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the state is providing $70 million in financial support to combat the undercounts that traditionally plague places with large immigrant and rural populations, but that figure includes funding from three different sources and each comes with various provisions. Empire State Development said last week that "county applications will be approved beginning next week and reimbursements will follow shortly.” Cuomo announced that groups can now apply for the last $5 million of the original $20 million pool, and those applications must be submitted by March 26. Invitations from the Census Bureau for residents to fill out their forms will go out this week, but there will be plenty of activity for months to come. Outreach to the homeless will start later in March, and Census takers are expected to complete their tallies by June. However, advocates are concerned that funding will arrive too late to have much of an impact on the state’s historic undercounts. “It’s just been a very confusing process for something the governor says is a top priority,” Citizens Union’s Rachel Bloom said. Read the full story at Politico New York.