Kaaterskill Inn destroyed by fire
Bill Williams is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media that a fast-moving fire destroyed the Kaaterskill Inn, a popular wedding venue and bed and breakfast, said Kiskatom Fire Chief Pete Kusminsky, Sun., Nov. 28. There was nothing left of the inn by the end of the day, the chief said. At about 12:26 p.m., the fire company was dispatched by Greene County 911 after receiving multiple reports of a structure fire on the second floor of the main building. When the first firefighters arrived minutes later, flames were shooting through the roof of the converted barn and the fire spread quickly to all parts of the building, Kusminsky said. Guests at the inn were able to evacuate safely before crews arrived. The fire burned for several hours through the afternoon. Kusminsky said extensive modifications to the building thwarted firefighters in their efforts to access certain areas. Central Hudson Gas and Electric responded to disconnect the power and High Falls Road Extension was closed to traffic while crews worked. The thick black smoke from the fire could be seen from miles away. An investigation found the fire started accidentally when logs from a fireplace were left on a porch, Kusminsky said. There were no reported injuries to firefighters. The destroyed main building housed six guest suites. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.