WGXC-90.7 FM

Local firefighters have busy weekend

Mar 12, 2019 7:30 am
Sarah Trafton is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media on the wave of fires at residences and a business in Greene County over the past weekend. In Athens, a family of five escaped an electrical fire at 52 Union Street, Mar. 9, according to fire officials. The family was able to rescue their dogs but lost two pet rabbits in the fire, Athens Fire Chief Dave Disbrow said. “It started in the basement in the electrical box,” Disbrow said. The fire and efforts to put it out caused extensive damage to the home, Disbrow said. Volunteers from the Athens, West Athens, Catskill, Coxsackie, Hudson and Greenport fire departments responded to the scene. A blaze at 114 Martin Drive in Coxsackie Mar. 10, drove a family of nine from their home. The family’s dog, five snakes and 12 of their cats were rescued, Fire Chief Shawn Burdick said. A member of the family was taken to the hospital for asthma complications. That fire started in the area of the chimney and wood stove, Burdick said. The chief said the family can make repairs to the home. Coxsackie, Athens, New Baltimore, Earlton and Medway-Grapeville fire departments responded to the scene. Firefighters were called to the Coxsackie McDonald's, on Route 9W, at 5:50 a.m., Mon., Mar. 11, for a reported structure fire. The restaurant manager was alone inside the building at the time, Burdick said. “The manager was there getting ready to start the shift,” he said, adding that she was uninjured. Firefighters managed to contain the blaze to the kitchen. Gas has been shut off to the building and the restaurant will remain closed until repairs are completed. Coxsackie, New Baltimore and Athens fire departments responded to the scene. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.