WGXC-90.7 FM

Cairo family of five displaced by electrical fire

Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Bill Williams is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media a family of five is homeless after a fire tore through their two-story home in Cairo during the afternoon of Wed., Jan. 6, Cairo Fire Chief Ray Feml said. There were no reported injuries. At approximately 12:44 p.m., Greene County 911 dispatched the Cairo Fire Department to 352 Route 20, after receiving reports the house was on fire. The first firefighters to arrive on the scene found a working structure fire and a request for mutual aid went out to neighboring fire companies. Ten departments from Greene County fought the blaze on the second floor of the home and were able to knock down the blaze after one hour and 15 minutes. The home’s occupants, two adults and three children, and their two dogs were all able to make it out of the house safely, Feml said. The residents plan to find another place to live while the home is being repaired, Feml said. The steep, snow-covered driveway made it difficult to get trucks close to the house. The building sustained extensive fire damage on the second floor and water damage on the first floor. The chief said the cause of the fire was electrical in nature. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.