Public hearing on New Baltimore's Budget Motel continued
Melanie Lekocevic is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media the scheduled public hearing on the proposed conversion of New Baltimore's former Budget Motel into apartments was recessed last week after the developers failed to provide needed information. Developers Stefan Sanzi and Gregory Bernardi purchased the property on March 31, for $800,000. They have proposed renovating the former motel into 12 one-bedroom apartments and four studio units. The New Baltimore Planning Board public hearing on the conversion was adjourned to May 13, after details, plans and paperwork were either missing or unclear. Sanzi failed to bring the required paperwork, referred to in the meeting as “green tickets,” that indicated he had notified neighboring property owners of the public hearing. There were also questions about the plans that had been filed with the planning board, which were inconsistent with Sanzi’s plans. The developer said they intend to take 28 units and convert them to 16 apartments; four studios and 12 one-bedroom units. However, Planning Board Chairman Rob Van Etten said the plans on file call for converting the space into 14 units for senior living residences. In March, Sanzi said the studio apartments will be rented for $700 to $800 a month, and the one-bedrooms would be $900, including utilities. Because the units, as proposed, are smaller in size than the town's zoning laws allow, Sanzi said he acquired a variance from the zoning board of appeals allowing for smaller spaces, but Van Etten wants to see confirmation of that decision before the public hearing resumes May 13. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.