WGXC-90.7 FM

Audio Feature: WGXC Congressional Report 20181023

Oct 20, 2018 9:45 am
Here's the week in the news for Rep. John Faso (R-Kinderhook), the District 19 Congressperson for the WGXC listening area. The Fivethirtyeight.com website currently reports Faso votes with Donald Trump's positions 89.2 percent of the time, the same as last week. Fivethirtyeight.com also currently predicts Faso has a 40.2 percent chance of winning re-election, rating Democrat Antonio Delgado at 59.8 percent. Click here to download or play an audio version of this report (9:48).

The Daily Freeman reports that actor Diane Neal will be on the ballot in the New York 19th Congressional election Nov. 6. On Oct. 11 the state Court of Appeals denied a petition to appeal the previous attempt to keep Neal off the ballot by Rhinebeck resident Rima Liscum. A lower court ruled that Neal's petitions for an independent line on the ballot lacked sufficient signatures. Neal may not have collected the proper signatures, but the Appellate Division agreed that she was not properly served notice of the deficiencies with her petitions. "This is a win for those who are tired of power brokers shoving the two-party system down our throats," Neal said in a press release. "We surpassed the high number of signatures they required us to get, so they challenged that. Then they went to court to appeal our victory, that got us on the ballot. There are no more obstacles they can throw at us. Today's a win for democracy." Neal was required to get the same number of signatures as other candidates, incumbent Republican John Faso (R-Kinderhook), Democrat Antonio Delgado, a Rhinebeck resident, and Green Party candidate Steve Greenfield of New Paltz. Read the full story in the Daily Freeman.

Logan Weiss is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media a large crowd packed into the Kinderhook Elks Lodge October 13, for a town hall meeting held by Democrat Antonio Delgado, candidate in the 19th Congressional District race. The gathering was held in the hometown of Delgado's opponent, Republican U.S. Rep. John Faso. For Delgado, it was his seventh town hall meeting of the campaign. Delgado was introduced by Peter Volkmann, the village police chief in Chatham. He touted Delgado's educational background, his honest character, and the overall idea of how voting is part of American life. In his remarks, Delgado quipped about his background. “You have probably heard about one of my jobs I had,” he said, referencing Faso's political commercials denigrating the Democrat's former music career. His speech covered a range of issues, including inequality, Medicaid, Medicare, women’s rights and education. Delgado also took several shots at his opponent and critics, pointing out that Faso is not hosting any town halls. Questions from attendees concerned Medicare, the new Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, water contamination in Hoosick Falls, prisons, the opioid epidemic, mental health, immigration, term limits, and climate change. The general election is November 6. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.

Eliza Collins reports in USA Today that former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan is hitting the road to campaign for Rep. John Faso and other Republicans. Faso, the incumbent Republican from Kinderhook, does not have any events listed on his Public Schedule webpage, but the newspaper says Ryan starts his campaign swing Oct. 15. “The Speaker knows that every Republican he is joining on the trail during this final sprint would offer better ideas than their Democrat opponents,” said Kevin Seifert, executive director of Ryan’s political operation. Faso is in a close race for re-election with Democrat Antonio Delgado. Read the full story in USA Today.

David Lombardo reports in the Albany Times Union that Democrat Antonio Delgado raised far more money for his campaign in the past three months than his Republican opponent, incumbent John Faso. Delgado, from Rhinebeck, raised in $3.35 million in contributions, while Faso, from Kinderhook, brought in $977,617. According to federal election filings, Delgado has $1.75 million to spend before election day, and Faso has $1.4 million. Chris Martin, the regional press secretary for the National Republican Campaign Committee, admitted that Democrats "are energized," but said, "At the end of the day, these are Republican districts." But a Democratic strategist disagreed. "A lot of people talk about a blue wave ... but there has also been a green wave," said Evan Stavisky. "It's been absolutely a story of the election cycle." For Faso, 66.7 percent of his donations came from individuals, rather than political action committees. Delgado raised 94.2 percent from individuals. Read the full story in the Albany Times Union.

Matthew Nanci reports at The Fray that the four debates between Republican incumbent John Faso, and Democrat Antonio Delgado, begin this week. The two will discuss issues in the 19th Congressional District election on Friday, Oct. 19 at 1 p.m., hosted by WMHT; Monday, Oct. 22 at 1 p.m., hosted by WAMC; Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 7:30 p.m. at the Woodstock Playhouse, hosted by Spectrum News; and Monday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. at SUNY Sullivan, hosted by the Times Herald-Record. Faso and actor and independent candidate Diane Neal and the Green Party's Steve Greenfield discussed issues Oct. 16 at a forum in Delaware County at the Walton Theatre that Delgado could not attend. Read the full story at The Fray.

• The website FiveThirtyEight.com released its forecast for the nation's election of governors this fall on Oct. 17, and they predicted that Gov. Andrew Cuomo has a 99.7 chance of getting re-elected. FiveThirtyEight.com predicts Cuomo, a Democrat, will get 59.1 percent of the vote Nov. 6, with Republican Marc Molinaro taking 36.9 percent, and other candidates getting four percent of the votes. The website also predicts Democrat Antonio Delgado has a 59.7 percent chance of unseating incumbent Republican John Faso in the 19th Congressional District vote. Delgado would win 49.3 percent of the vote under their forecast model, with Faso getting 47.8 percent.
Wave Farm / WGXC Acra Contact Info
Mailing: PO Box 13 Acra, NY 12405
Main Office / Acra Studio
(518) 622-2598
WGXC Office
(518) 697-7400
WGXC Hudson Studio
(518) 828-0290
WGXC Feedback
(518) 212-7509 feedback@wgxc.org
Wave Farm / WGXC Acra Studio: 5662 Route 23 Acra, NY 12405
WGXC Hudson Studio: 369 Warren St. Hudson, NY 12534