WGXC-90.7 FM

Cauterskill Bridge replacement project underway

Jul 06, 2017 7:20 am

Daniel Zuckerman is reporting for Columbia-Greene Media work to replace the aging Cauterskill Road bridge in Catskill has begun. The historic span over the Kaaterskill Creek is located west of the New York State Thruway overpass. Greene County Highway Superintendent Robert Van Valkenburg said in recent years the bridge began to show signs of wear and deficiencies were increasingly evident, but repairs were not possible. The new bridge will have a steel truss and a concrete deck. Plus some adjustments to the substructure at both ends of the bridge are also needed. The price tag for the new bridge is roughly $1.3 million, with 80 percent of the cost coming from the federal government. Of the remaining 20 percent, 15 percent is state funded and 5 percent will come from the county, Van Valkenburg said. The county’s $65,000 share was approved as part of the annual budget. The project is expected to be completed by late September. Read the full story at HudsonValley360 [dot] com.