Guns, abortion, and cryptocurrency get last-minute bills passed in Albany
New York State of Politics reports about the bills passed by the state legislature in the final moments of its 2022 session on June 2. Among the measures passed:
• People who wish to obtain a semiautomatic rifle will be required to first obtain a permit and be at least the age of 21;
• Legislators outlawed the purchase or the possession of bullet-proof vests;
• Guns will be microstamped to make them more traceable, and social media platforms will be required to maintain ways of reporting hateful behavior;
• Lawmakers passed a two-year moratorium on a specific type of cryptocurrency mining;
• They passed added legal protections for abortion providers, and shielded women from other states seeking abortions in New York against extraditions and arrests.
Read more about these stories at New York State of Politics.