Music for the Masses: Afrobeat International, Part 6
90.7-FM in NY's Upper Hudson Valley and wgxc.org/listen everywhere
Hosted by Neva E. Wartell.
Part 6 of an ongoing series exalting the glory of Nigerian Afrobeat in its infinite interpretations, featuring Afrobeat bands from unexpected and surprising places.
"Music for the Masses" invites you on an excursion of sound and rhythm. Discover the music of established and emerging artists, both signed and unsigned, on the international music scene. For the avid globe-hopper and armchair traveler alike. You might want to pack a map and a sandwich. Catskill resident "DJ Neva" is an ethnomusicologist, producer, and long-time cultural activist, specializing in music from the entire African continent, as well as the Caribbean and Latin America, the Maghreb and Middle East, and the Roma (Gypsy) diaspora. Formerly the producer of "Continental Drift" on WBAI-FM and New York International on Haitian community station Radio Soleil in NYC. The show is broadcast live from Catskill, NY.
Playlists and more information here.
- Middle Of The Road (2007 Remastered LP Version) / The Pretenders
- Stuck in the Storm / Afro Social Club
- Asa-sa / Fred Fisher Atalobhor & His Ogiza Dance Band
- Ekpo Mmommom / Etuk Ubong
- Dem People Go (Accapella) / Dennis Ferrer
- Neriba Lanchina / Uppers International
- Mama [feat. Kevin Meyame] / Telepath
- Any Sound / Nomadic Massive
- Police the Police / The Souljazz Orchestra
- Unknownland / Daniel Dzidzonu
- Cut the Infection feat. Tony Allen,Òrànmíyàn / Chicago Afrobeat Project
- Disrupt the Programme / Bantu
- Kilimanjaro / The Shaolin Afronauts
- Malunguinho / Abayomy Afrobeat Orquestra
- Qué Sabemos / Newen Afrobeat
- Atwer Abroba / Ebo Taylor
- Afrologistic / Supergombo
- Kelema / Sia Tolno