Mostly Singles: Northern Soul, 78s, New Zealand
90.7-FM in NY's Upper Hudson Valley and wgxc.org/listen everywhere
Hosted by Michael Wilde.
More of what was great last time, with the added magic of the Kiwi Isles. Stanley Mitchell, Detroit Emeralds, David Kilgour and the Heavy Eights; Able Tasmans, early Fats, Jubalaires, vibraphones, combos, stompers, and Chills. The shellac’s on fire, the soul’s sublime, and the NZ sides are soaring. This one is joy.
Claverack resident Michael Wilde presents "Mostly Singles," selections from an extensive collection of 45 rpm vinyl — music from the 1950s, '60s, '70s and early '80s, mixed with some 78 rpm selections from American popular song and field recordings from the Library of Congress and folklore archives. Broadcast live from the Hudson studio.
- Gather Lip Rouge While You May (09-25-33) / Joe Venuti
- Get It Baby / Stanley Mitchell
- Left by Soft / David Kilgour
- Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms) / The Detroit Emeralds
- Hey! Young Fella! / Joe Venuti
- Gladyse / Fats Waller
- Sour Queen / Able Tasmans
- In Your Favour / Look Blue Go Purple
- Everything I Have Is Yours (78 rpm Version) / Joe Venuti and His Orchestra
- Vibraphonia (78 rpm Version) / Joe Venuti and His Blue Five
- Feel so Good / The Spelling Mistakes
- Dese Bones Gwine Rise Again / Jubilaires
- Fit As a Fiddle (And Ready for Love) (78 rpm Version) / Paul Small
- Don't Pretend / The Belles
- Float On / The Floaters
- No More Love (78 rpm Version) / Joe Venuti and His Orchestra
- Zonky / Fats Waller
- In De Ruff (78 rpm Version) / Joe Venuti and His Blue Six
- Never Never Go / The Chills