New York State Council on the Arts in Partnership with Wave Farm:
MAAF FOR INDIVIDUAL ARTISTS
Please subscribe to Wave Farm's email list to receive announcements regarding this program as well as general Wave Farm news.
ABOUT MAAF FOR ARTISTS
For individual artists, the New York State Council on the Arts in Partnership with Wave Farm: Media Arts Assistance Fund (MAAF) provides support for the completion, distribution and exhibition of new works in all genres of sound and moving image art, including emergent technology. Grant awards assist artists in completing new work, reaching public audiences, and advance artistic exploration and public engagement in the media arts.
For the purposes of these grants, MAAF considers Media Arts as moving image and sound art works. MAAF is not able to support the completion or distribution/exhibition of works that employ the media arts in service of another discipline, or in creative expression through science and technology such as BioArt, including the environmental arts per se. Although MAAF recognizes moving image and sound art works may incorporate these elements, proposals that focus solely on the environmental/bio sciences as the artistic centerpiece will not be considered at this time.
Completion Support – for MAAF Artists
Funds are available to assist artists in the final stages of completing new work. In addition to a detailed work plan, the successful applicant will demonstrate how this support will lead to future distribution and exhibition for public audiences.
Important Eligibility Notes:
Distribution / Exhibition Support – For MAAF Artists
The goal of MAAF Distribution / Exhibition Support is to ensure completed works are experienced by public audiences. Funds are available for projects, finished during the most recent calendar year, that demonstrate a practical distribution plan, appropriate to the completed work and the intended public context. The successful applicant will submit a detailed distribution strategy and plan, as well as identify intended exhibition venue(s), and audience(s).
Important Eligibility Notes:
IMPORTANT NOTE: For additional NYSCA Individual Artists Grant Opportunities (IND), please see the IND Program:https://www.arts.ny.gov/programs/individual-artists
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY NOTES
MAAF is made possible through a regrant from the NYSCA Electronic Media and Film program. Applicants who have questions regarding eligibility are encouraged to contact Wave Farm at email@example.com after reading the guidelines in detail.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
IMPORTANT NOTE: Wave Farm uses the online platform Submittable for the MAAF Artists application submission process. Applicants are strongly encouraged to carefully and comprehensively read the information below before submitting an application. Please contact Wave Farm at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Once you have registered with Submittable, you will have access to the online submission form. A PDF preview of the application form is available here.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the application deadline?
- Applications are submitted electronically through Submittable and must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. January 15.
- May I submit materials offline?
- Unfortunately no. All applications materials must be submitted online.
- When will applicants be notified about funding?
- Award notification will be sent to all applicants in March.
- May I submit more than one application?
- No, only one application may be submitted by an artist/collective.
- Can my application cover more than one work?
- No, an application may consist only of one work, by one artist/collective.
- Does this grant support expenses related to travel outside of New York State?
- No, it does not. A distribution/exhibition plan at large may include out of state travel, but you must show other income in your budget that meets this expense.
- Must my distribution/exhibition plan take place inside New York State?
- Gallery and Site-specific proposals must serve New York State audiences. Theatre/Cinema and Online/Broadcast proposals do not have this requirement.
- If I am incurring related expenses prior to the notification date, and my project receives support, am I able to allocate funds towards those past expenses?
- No. Funding awarded through MAAF must be used to meet eligible expenses incurred during the Grant Period, which follows notification of support.
- Is there information available about Past Grantees?
- The Distribution/Exibition grant opportunity has been administered by Wave Farm since 2009. Completion Support was added to MAAF Artist opportunities in 2019. MAAF is pleased to have supported the following artists: Zoe Beloff, Annie Berman, Jason Bernagozzi, Danielle Beverly, Melis Birder, Natalie Bookchin, Joan Brooker-Marks, Peter Burr, Blake Carrington, Todd Chandler, Jonathan Cohrs, Joe Diebes, David Dixon, Meredith Drum, Ian Epps, Jessica Feldman, Jim Finn, Adam Frelin, Sabisha Friedberg, David Galbraith, Michael Galinsky (Rumur), Dylan Gauthier, Roy Germano, Volker Goetze, Maximilian Goldfarb, Jacqueline Goss (and Jenny Perlin), Cassandra Guan (and Lily Benson), Tamara Gubernat, Michelle Handelman, Claudia Hart, Robin Hessman, Tali Hinkis (and Kyle Lapidus [LoVid]), Ann Hirsch, Tracie Holder, David Horvitz, Ekene Ijeoma, Shaun Irons (and Lauren Petty), Ken Jacobs, Sawako Kato, Victoria Keddie, Brenda Ann Kenneally, Eli Kezler, James N. Kienitz Wilkins, Franziska Lamprecht (eteam), Hank C. Linhart, David Linton, Jeanne Liotta, Simon Liu, Cecilia Lopez, Paul Lovelace (and Jessica Wolfson), Kristin Lucas, Tony Martin, Jillian McDonald, Joseph McKay, Marisa Morán Jahn, John Morton, Erik Moskowitz (and Amanda Trager), ecoarttech (Cary Peppermint and Leila Nadir), Tara Najd Ahmadi, Heidi Neilson, Daniel Neumann (and Juan Betancurth), Tomonari Nishikawa, Elizabeth Orr, Andrea Parkins, Margo Pelletier (and Lisa Thomas), Sue Perlgut, Kris Perry, Jennifer Redfearn, Yoruba Richen, Todd Rohal, Marina Rosenfeld, Efrain Rozas, Amie Siegal, Fern Silva, Philip Stearns, Kimi Takesue, Landon Van Soest, Ian Vanek (Japanther), Laura Vitale, Lance Wakeling, Mary Walling Blackburn, Miao Wang, Julia Weist (and Nestor Siré), Byron Westbrook, Jeremy Young (szilárd), Betty Yu, Nick Yulman, and Caveh Zahedi Please click for more detailed information on funded projects for any of the following years: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR QUESTIONS
Questions regarding your application should be directed to Wave Farm email@example.com. Please note that we will respond in as timely a fashion as possible prior to the deadline, however we recommend that you submit all questions well in advance of the application deadline.
FINAL REPORT FORMS FOR CURRENT GRANTEES:The Final Report for 2018 Grantees is due February 1, 2019.
Please click here to file your final report.