MAAF for Individual Artists
MAAF for Artists 2022
NYSCA in Partnership with Wave Farm
For individual artists, MAAF provides support for the completion and/or public presentation of new works in all genres of sound and moving image art, including emergent technology. Grant awards assist artists in completing new work, reaching public audiences, and advance artistic exploration and public engagement in the media arts. Women, gender non-comforming people, and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Opportunity: MAAF for Artists
New York State Artists may apply for up to $7,500 to support the completion and/or public presentation of a new or recently completed media artwork.
- Application Deadline: July 1, 2022
- Notification: August 31, 2022
- Public Announcement of Grantees: September 2022
- Project Period September 1, 2022 - August 31, 2023
- Final Report Deadline: October 31, 2023
- MAAF supports new work. For public presentation support requests for a recently completed media artwork, the completion date of the project must fall within July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022.
- For completion support for an in-progress media artwork, the proposed project must be in the final stages of creation (at least 75 percent), and ready for completion.
- Artists must reside in New York State.
- Public Presentations must serve New York State audiences.
- Funding may not be used for travel expenses outside of New York State.
- Applicants must demonstrate media art to be the core discipline of the submitted work; in order to be eligible for support, cross or multi-disciplinary work must demonstrate media art to be the primary discipline.
- Sound artworks are eligible. Electronic music projects are not eligible.
- For the purpose of this grant, in FY2022, MAAF is not able to support non-fiction, narrative documentary works. See Independent Documentary Association's Grants Directory for Nonfiction Film for listing of funding opportunities.
- MAAF does not support episodic work, such as a web series or podcast.
- Applicants who have received, or have a pending application for support from NYSCA’s Individual Artists program may not apply for MAAF Artist support for the same project.
- Applicants who receive other NYSCA Regrant support through a local arts council, NYFA, etc. (where funds have originated from NYSCA) may not apply for MAAF Artist support for the same project.
- The applicant must have all rights to distribute and exhibit the work as proposed.
- Student works are not eligible. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for career artists who may have returned to school for postgraduate work.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the application deadline?
- Applications are submitted electronically through Submittable and must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. EST July 1, 2022.
- May I submit materials offline?
- Unfortunately no. All applications materials must be submitted online.
- When will applicants be notified about funding?
- Award notification will be sent to all applicants in August.
- May I submit more than one application?
- No, only one application may be submitted by an artist/collective.
- Can my application cover more than one work?
- No, an application may consist only of one artwork, by one artist/collective.
- Does this grant support expenses related to travel outside of New York State?
- No, it does not. A public presentation plan at large may include out of state travel, but you must show other income in your budget that meets this expense.
- If I am incurring related expenses prior to the notification date, and my project receives support, am I able to allocate funds towards those past expenses?
- No. Funding awarded through MAAF must be used to meet eligible expenses incurred during the Grant Period, which follows notification of support.
Applications Must Be Submitted Online
Wave Farm uses the online platform Submittable for the MAAF Artists application submission process. Applicants are strongly encouraged to carefully and comprehensively read the information on this page before submitting an application. Please contact Wave Farm at email@example.com with questions.
Once you have registered with Submittable, you will have access to the online submission form.
Application Preview PDF
While your application must be submitted online, you may access a preview of the form via this link.
- Applications will be reviewed by Wave Farm staff for eligibility, completeness, and guideline compliance.
- Eligible applications are then reviewed by a peer panel comprised of NYS media arts professionals.
- The peer review panel reviews and rates all applications.
- Panel then convenes in August to review and rate a top-tier of applications.
- Panel ratings/recommendations are then reviewed by Wave Farm and NYSCA EMF for final determination; funding recommendations are based on panel review ratings.
- All applications and proposals will be reviewed in a manner consistent with NYSCA policies and procedures.